Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Cover the Inner-Loop

If you're from Rochester, you know what the Inner-Loop is. For those who don't know, it's basically an expressway that circles around the central business district of Rochester. It's very convienient for those of us who use it daily, but it's also responsible for separating the business district from the rest of the city. In fact, it's kindof like having a moat around the castle. For years there has been talk about filling up the Inner-Loop with dirt... or maybe converting it into a canal, encircling the city. Those seem like very big, expensive projects which don't really do a whole lot. The existing canal is struggling to make money as a tourist attraction, and it seems unlikely that a downtown canal would work. Filling it with dirt might give the city more area to expand, but the city isn't expanding a whole lot, so what have we gained?

I suppose I should just add here that the reason people are talking about the Inner-Loop is because it's in a state of decay. It gets mowed a couple times a year, and the street surfaces are crumbling. It's a shame, because I do use it every day, and it could be a whole lot better! So, here's my suggestion, which I came to in discussions with one of my partners at the office: turn it into a tunnel! Maybe not the whole thing, because again, that results in a big area that we don't really need... but cover up strategically important areas - making pedestrian and parklike areas which connect the two areas. This would also benefit the roadways below because they would be protected against the elements thus increasing the life of the roads. Now, this doesn't guarantee that the Inner-Loop will be traveled more, but it is a realistic solution to a growing problem.

So, what do you think? Leave me some comments, and maybe I'll follow up on this. I think it's a worthwhile proposition, and I'd love to send off the suggestions to the NYSDOT!

No comments: